Have you ever stopped to ponder why you do what you do? Why you are working toward a particular project? Why you follow a particular hobby or passion? Why you do a particular job or parent your kids the way you do?
If it is because you feel excited and purposeful in doing them and that these experiences are creating real meaning and opportunities for you, then my head is nodding and my hands are clapping, ‘cos I love your answers!!!
If, per chance, your response is any of the following, then perhaps there is a discussion to be explored here.
1) I do what I do, because of the money. 2) I do what I do, because that's what or how my parents did it. 3) I do what I do, because it's what I've done for a long time. It makes me feel comfortable. Safe. Bored. 4) I do what I do, because that's what most people my age or in my peer/social group are doing. 5) I do what I do, because I'm afraid if I made a change, it might be hard. Or not work out. Or. Something.
My intention in putting these ideas to you is simply to ask you to think. Or maybe to stop thinking in the way you may have been and ask yourself some different questions. Questions like:-
1) What really makes me happy, excited, inspired, gives me energy and purpose? Could I do that instead? Or at least try it?
2) Is what was right for my parents, right for me?
3) Is doing what I’ve always done really working for me? Is it providing a truly fulfilling and purposeful life for me?
4) Are there other people, in my age and peer group, who are doing something great with their lives? Something I admire them for and would like to emulate?
5) Is refusing or choosing not to change or not to stretch myself to learn and experience something outside of my comfort zone really working for me? Perhaps there is some value to had in trying new things and getting out of my comfort zone.
Life is short. It is also full of possibilities. Established careers, jobs and ‘traditional’ roles don’t have to dictate who you are or what you do. If you’re not satisfied with the way yours is, why not create a new one for yourself using the above questions as a starting point? Maybe you already have?
Maybe you have already explored those questions and moved on, beyond the ‘expected’ role or label society has stamped you with. Or maybe you’d like to.
I love exploring these type of topics and certainly do not profess to have all the answers. Maybe I’ve got it wrong. Maybe there is more I need to know or discover.
What do you think?
Are you purpose driven in your endeavours?
Does what you do or are striving to do really excite and inspire you?
Is wanting to help improve the lives of others or just reaching out and connecting something you think is a purposeful goal?
What other ways can we inject purpose and meaning into everything we do?